Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sugar Cookie Bars

I like most people love sugar cookies, but honestly I don't have/care to take the time to make them.  I usually only make traditional rolled out cookies once a year for Christmas and usually JT will help me by making Santa's into penises, its a great family time.   When I saw this recipe I knew I had to try these.

Recipe: 
1 cup butter; room temperature
2 cups sugar
2 t. vanilla
4 eggs
5 cups flour
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg.  Add vanilla and mix well.  In a separate bowl combine flour, salt and baking soda and stir with a whisk to combine.  Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined.  Spread on a greased baking sheet (use a 13 X 18 pan).
Bake at 375 degrees to 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool completely and cut into squares or triangles if you like or you can just leave in the pan and frost. 

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter; room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
1 t. vanilla
pinch of salt
4 cups powdered sugar
5 T milk
food coloring if you like
Combine butter and shortening until smooth and creamy.  Add vanilla and salt.  Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until combined, then add milk and mix until smooth and spreading consistency.  Spread over cooled cookies.

1 comment: