Monday, July 13, 2009

Penne with two tomatoes and fresh mozzarella

Words cannot express how delicious this meal is, I've always wanted to try sun dried tomatoes to see what the hype was all about. I was really afraid to make this meal because I thought JT would think it was too weird and hate it, he actually really enjoys it; especially now that I added some grilled chicken to it.

Penne with two tomatoes and fresh mozzarella (Martha Stewart)
6 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
Salt and pepper
12 ounces of penne
1 T olive oil
1 pint of cherry or grape tomatoes
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup snipped chives
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1. Place cheese in freezer. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water; drain pasta and set aside. I cooked my grilled chicken during this time, adding a little olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder for flavor.
2. In pasta pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add cherry tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and pasta water. Cook until cherry tomatoes soften, two to 4 minutes.
3. Add pasta, chicken, cheese (I left the cheese in the freezer until right before I needed and then cut it, it was much easier to cut that way), season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine.

I omitted the chives that last time I made this, I just forgot and I served with a yummy salad of "weeds" as JT likes to call them.

1 comment: