Saturday, July 11, 2009

Salsa

I love Chili's salsa, often times I want to go there just to get chips and salsa. When I saw a recipe for it on What's Cooking I knew I had to try it, I literally went to the store on my lunch break to get the ingredients. I have made it four times now and have adapted it finally to my liking.

I work with my father-in-law and I brought him a little sample about a week ago, when I went to his office he said "Oh you didn't have to bring me chips too, I'm going to bring this home to share with Gina." My phone was ringing when I got back into my cube, we work in different building, it was him raving about how great that salsa was and how I needed to give him the recipe and he was going to go share some with his neighbor who I work with fairly closely. The phone rings again shortly, it was Brie raving about how great the recipe was and how she needed the recipe too, I love hearing that people enjoy the things I make. Tomorrow is John's birthday so I made him a batch of salsa to bring to his birthday get together, he was very excited to hear I was bringing this.

"Chili's" Salsa by Jenn T. (Source: Recipezaar.com)
1 small can of green chilies
1 can of Jalapenos (not pickled)
1 large can of whole tomatoes (28 oz. size)
1/2 cup of chopped onion
1 14.5 oz. can of stewed tomatoes
Salt (to taste)
Cumin (to taste, I put a lot in)
Garlic Powder (to taste, I've made this salsa with raw garlic and I've since found that I can't stand the taste of it)
Splash of lime juice

I begin by processing the jalapenos, chilies and onions in the food processor. I have to process things in small batches and mix in a bowl since my food processor is so small. Next I process the stewed tomatoes and whole tomatoes. I mix all the veggies in a mixing bowl and add spices to taste. Refrigerate for several hours to combine flavors. Serve with your favorite chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment