Monday, January 4, 2010

Shamelessly showing off my cat

Basket Weave Throw
Source: Lion Brand Pattern

Finished Size: 40" by 50"

Materials
8 skeins of Loin rand Homespun Yarn in the color of your choice
Lion Brand Speed Stix (size 50)
Large-eyed blunt needle
9" square of cardboard

Gauge
4 stitches and 5 1/4 rows = 4", with 4 strands held together.

Throw
With 4 strands of Homespun held together, cast on 40 stitches.

Rows 1-5: Knit 5, perl 5, repeat across

Rows 6-10: Perl 5, Knit 5, repeat across

Repeat rows 1-10 5 more times, Repeat rows 1-5 once. Bind off in pattern.
(I just kept going because I did put the tassels on, I got 2 extra rows of 1-10)

Tassels (make 4)
Wrap yarn around cardboard square 100 times. Cut a 9" length of yarn and thread into large-eyed blunt needle. Insert needle under all strands at upper edge of cardboard. Pull tightly and knot securely near strands. Cut yarn loops at lower edge of cardboard. Cut a 24" length of yarn and wrap tightly around loops 1" below top knot to form tassel neck. Knot securely; thread ends into needle and weave ends to center of tassel. Trim tassel ends evenly. Weave in ed.

Finishing
Attach a tassel to each corner of throw. Weave in ends.

This pattern took me about 6 hours, I'm not the most experienced knitter, I can make a couple different hats, both harry potter scarves and regular scarves.

I made another one for JT's Mimi for Christmas in shades of blue, white, green, purple, she loved it so much she cried when she opened it.

2 comments:

  1. That is beautiful! I had no idea you could knit - I am in awe. I tried teaching myself and found it impossible. Can you make mittens?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I can't make mittens, I really want to try socks one of the ladies at work said they'd show me! Its really hard to teach yourself, I had someone show me, if you're up for it I'm a willing teacher. :)

    ReplyDelete